Wednesday, April 27, 2011

In The Spotlight - Eric Jerome Brown







Eric Jerome Brown is a writer, producer, and documentary film maker from the Washington D.C. area. He graduated from James Madison University, where he independently studied African American history while also taking courses in creative writing.  He has published poems and technical articles in various trade and academic publications.
He currently works in the Information Technology field while continuing to work on various fiction projects. 
He is currently a Tuesday night co-host on The Dedan Tolbert Show, a relationship advice show for women at http://askdedan.ning.com/. 
He lives in Virginia with his wife and children.

(Available on Amazon)



Orsayor: Do you cook? What’s your favorite meal to prepare?

Eric:   I love to cook.  My mother made my sibling and I cook from age 7 on.  Generally,  I like preparing baked chicken or grilling salmon or some sort of seafood outdoors. 

Orsayor: While listening to the radio, do you ever want to sing the song that is being played?

Eric: Yea, I do that too.  When I hear some oldie but goodie slow jams from the 60, 70, and 80s.

Orsayor: When was the last time you screamed because you were scared?

Eric: I can’t recall the last time I screamed out of fear.  Though when I’m pissed off I do groan.

Orsayor: Do you recall how your interest in writing originated?

Eric: I’ve wanted to write since I was about 10 years old. Prior to that I use to create stories and tell them to my family members.  The ideas I have for writing stem from my study of history as a child.  I was diagnosed as being learning disabled at about age 8.  However, my teachers use to let me spend afternoons in the library reading anything I wanted.  I think I got a really good foundation for storytelling from that period of my life.  It created my habitual reading that I still do to this day.  I study subjects and ideas by reading large amounts of books before I write a story.

Orsayor: Is there a message in your novel that you want readers to grasp? 

Eric: The central message of Miss Sue Lucky’s Fishin’ Secrets is that you cannot seek or get personal validation from the people around you.  Validation must come from within you.  You could hope and wait your entire life for someone to tell you that you’re good enough and probability is that it won’t happen.  That need for external sources to valid you’re self-worth is dangerous because it leaves you open to manipulation.  That’s the main point of Miss Sue Lucky, learn to love yourself and work to create the life “you” want for yourself.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Linkin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS