Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Review: Joyland - Stephen King

Set in a small-town North Carolina amusement park in 1973, Joyland tells the story of the summer in which college student Devin Jones comes to work as a carny and confronts the legacy of a vicious murder, the fate of a dying child, and the ways both will change his life forever. - Amazon


REVIEW


Expect Nothing – Enjoy the Ride

That’s the rules when it comes to reading a Stephen King novel. 

When I pre-ordered Joyland, I never read the synopsis I fell in love with the book cover. Plus, it’s a Stephen King novel. Judging from the cover, I was prepared to read a story about a crazy carnival serial killer, but when I began reading I knew I was preparing to start another journey.

Joyland tells the story of Devin Jones, a heartbroken college student that takes a summer job at an amusement park named Joyland.  Joyland is a low-budget version of Disneyland, but to the residents of North Carolina, it’s a place of fun rides, delicious food, and oh yeah… an unsolved murder that took place years ago on one of the popular rides, House of Horrors.

The story of Joyland was told in retrospect by the main character, Devin Jones – there were times throughout the book that I worried about Devin… then I thought… “Oh! That’s right Devin is still alive... he’s the one telling the story.” 

Mr. King did an excellent job of developing characters that will stay in your heart long after closing the book. I also loved the fact the story was told in retrospect, which gave the readers a look in the future lives of the characters. Even though it made the story bittersweet because you find out some of the characters didn’t live happily ever after.

Stephen King is a versatile writer.  There’s no question why Stephen King is loved by millions. His style of writing can grab the attention of the reader's heart, mind, and soul. 

Joyland.... What a Beautiful Ride...


4.5 Stars

Orsayor



2 comments:

  1. Putting this one on my list to read. Thanks, Orsayor!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bought Joyland on audio cd to listen to on my way to/from work. The narrator is good and keeps the story rolling and interesting. This is classic Stephen King; a good read, fun to listen to. I would recommend this one.

    ReplyDelete

Linkin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS